Instructor, Computer Information Technology at WVNCC
August 2011 – Present
- Full-time information technology faculty– Concentrating on system development for the CIT department.
- Courses include: Microsoft Applications, MS Outlook, MS Publisher, MS Access, Visual Basic Programming, SQL Programming, Advanced VB ADO.Net Programming, Windows 7.0 Troubleshooting, and IT Analysis & Design.
- Most courses offered in both traditional classroom and on-line settings.
- Member of Curriculum and Institutional Technology Committees.
- Faculty advisor for the WVNCC Computer club.
President at Wye Oak Technology, Inc.
April 2000 - Present• Senior Management
- International and domestic government relations
- Contract negotiations
- Press releases and media relations
- Most work is of a private corporate or sensitive national security nature.
- Developing a secure database driven internet catalog all used military hardware in Iraq. The overall scope for the entire project was in excess of $1B.
- Foreign Materials Sales (FMS) with NATO and non-NATO clients or sources $10M+
- Worked agencies including DoD, Naval Research Labs, DHS, CIA, the Office of the Special Inspector General of Iraq, and various members of Congress.
- Worked directly with the Special Inspector General to uncover and eliminate corruption in the military contracting process.
- Helped successfully present a case before the U.S. Supreme Court
Sr. Business Analyst at Gannett - HighSchoolSports.net
April 2008 - October 2010
- Metrics analysis, SEO and forecasting for HighSchoolSports.net and all 40 Gannett affiliates including USAToday.com.
- Advertising forecasting, flighting, billing, and reconciling.
- Project planning and analysis using both waterfall and Agile methodologies.
- Develop performance and business requirements for new business.
- Developing project management procedures and processes
Project Manager and Instructional Designer at NASA - CET- WJU
April 1997 - April 2000
• Managed the Educators Resource Network project.
• Instructional Designer and Programmer for Astronomy Village Investigating the Universe© and Astronomy Village Investigating the Solar System© award winning educational software.
• Designed and managed the creation of the first “live” streaming video of the President of the United States (Clinton) doing a town hall meeting.
• Designed an intellectual property database used in the creation of educational software.
Project Manager / Senior Programmer at HGO Technology, Inc
May 1993 - April 1997
• Instructional Design, implementation, and management for a wellness project which was funded by the US Centers for Disease Control and had a total budget of $2.25M.
• Designed and managed the creation of the original WTRF TV-7 web site
Programmer / Instructional Designer at MindBank, Inc
January 1988 - May 1993
• Created natural gas pipeline simulators using Visual Basic 1, AutoCAD, and natural gas pipeline system modeling software. These pipeline simulators are being used to train the gas control operators how to handle real-time disasters on a computer simulator.
• Developed an aerial image mapping and database system to market commercial, industrial, and recreational property for the City of Chicago.
Programmer - CAD Specialist at Picture Perfect Systems
November 1985 - January 1988
• Programmed using 6805 assembly language to create a 6-bank video tape player system that would synchronize the players for use in a video cube system.
• Designed and built a 55,000 watt television transmitter from the component level up.
• Designed a remote control coal mining machine.
West Virginia University
Master of Software Engineering, Software Engineering, 2012 - 2016
Golden key International Honor Society (top 5% of graduate students)
Colorado State University
NA, Education, 1999 - 1999
West Virginia Wesleyan College
BA, Philosophy - Religion - Computer Science, 1981 - 1985
West Virginia Northern Community College
Coursework in Culinary Arts
Master of Software Engineering, Software Engineering at West Virginia University
- Software Analysis and Design (SENG 520)
- Object Oriented Design (SENG 550)
- Software Project Management (SENG 510)
- Validation and Verification (SENG 530)
- Software Evolution (SENG 530)
- Adv. Software Project Management (SENG 610)
- Strategies-Software Development (SENG 611)
Skills & Expertise
Teaching, Management, Strategic Planning, Public Speaking, Government Relations, Contract Negotiations, Foreign Materials Sales.
Family and Fun Stuff:
Wife: Becky works at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Children: Eve, Zoe, and Liv. Eve is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University and WVNCC
I love obstacle course races (OCR) I have competed in over 40 races including the Worlds Toughest Mudder and the Obstacle Course World Championships.
I play on a summer softball team with my church.
I build things.
I am a member of the JM school improvement counsel.
I sing in the Simpson United Methodist church choir and help with services as needed.
• Educator, Sr. Executive, Instructional Designer, Application Analyst/Developer, and Manager in a wide variety of educational and business environments.
• Accomplished management and technical professional, with a background in education, business development and government contracting domestically and multi-nationally.