WVNCC Academic Advising Mission Statement
WVNCC believes no two students are exactly the same. We take a holistic approach to advising students by considering each student's circumstances, goals, attributes, abilities and interests. Advisors work with students to foster self-awareness, articulate goals, and develop feasible paths to achievement.
STUDENTS: You can quickly locate your advisor by clicking on the "Advisor Information" tab across the top of your student portal.
Students should check-in with their advisors at the beginning of every semester.
Advisors post office hours on their office doors - there's no excuse for not meeting
with an advisor. Students should be sure to ask their advisor's preference for
scheduling appointments and meet with advisors prior to registration each
semester. Advising makes a big difference!
WVNCC Academic Advising Structure
|New, readmitted, transfer, transient, early entrance||Counselors, staff advisors|
|Current students||Faculty/program advisors|
|Current students (program not fully implemented on campus), speciality technical||Counselors, staff advisors|
|Developmental education students||Student Success Advisor|
Academic Advising Resources
- Academic Advising Handbook, Part 1 (This handbook is in the form of a Prezi. When you access the link, click "More" underneath the screen showing the Prezi and choose "Fullscreen." Then, click the forward arrow to advance the screens in the Prezi.)
- Academic Advising Handbook, Part 2 (This handbook is in the form of a Prezi. When you access the link, click "More" underneath the screen showing the Prezi and choose "Fullscreen." Then, click the forward arrow to advance the screens in the Prezi.)
- Schedule Planning Sheet (Students and advisors can use this spreadsheet to plan schedules for upcoming semesters, fitting in class times around work, personal, and study times)
- Academic Advising Syllabus Sample (An advising syllabus allows the advisor to outline expectations and learning objectives with advisees and enhances the idea that "advising is learning" for the student and advisor.)
- Division Chairs (Kathy Herrington, Division of Liberal Arts; Ralph Lucki, Division of Health and Sciences; Marian Grubor, Division of Business, Computers and Information Technology, and Culinary Arts)
- Academic Affairs office (Lucy Kefauver, Executive Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Academic Affairs; Dr. Vicki Riley, Vice President of Academic Affairs)
Advising Training Resources