WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
|Social Work 2+2 Associate in Arts Degree
Transfer to Franciscan
University of Steubenville
|Note: The "2+2" term is used to refer to a transfer agreement through which a student completes an Associate degree at WVNCC and finishes a Bachelor’s degree at another institution. Because of individual student factors, part-time or full-time status, need for transitional education coursework, scheduling and availability of courses, or other factors, all students may not be able to complete this degree in two (Associate’s) or four (Bachelor’s) years. The term "2+2" does not imply a guarantee that a student will be able to complete all requirements in four years.|
|Academic Advisor(s): WH-Herrington; WT-Davis; NM-Ferrell|
Students completing this option will receive an Associate of Arts degree from West Virginia Northern. Upon completing the specified 69-78 credit hours at Franciscan University of Steubenville, they will receive a Bachelor Degree in Social Work (B.S.W.). Approximately 60 credit hours of the 69-78 credit hours (depending on what math and science courses are taken) will transfer as equivalent courses, with the rest transferring as general electives.
In addition to the WVNCC courses, applicants for admission to FUS need to have an overall grade point average of 2.0 and meet other program admissions requirements of Franciscan University to be eligible under the 2+2 program. Students must also make separate application to the Department of Social Work and fulfill other program admissions requirements.*
Students successfully completing and receiving an A.A. degree under the 2+2 agreement with Franciscan University’s School of Social Work should be able to:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the social work profession and the evolution of its various delivery systems
• Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts, theories, and strategies used in social work
• Demonstrate knowledge of the major theories of psychology and human development
• Demonstrate knowledge of the issues related to the ethical standards of the social work profession
• Demonstrate knowledge of how social, cultural, family, and individual factors influence needs and affect the delivery of social services
• Demonstrate adequate knowledge and skills related to general education curriculum requirements for the 2+2 Associate in Arts degree in social work
• Utilize critical thinking skills
• Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate commitment to attendance, initiative, organization, and interest in the profession
To be considered for acceptance into the Social Work program at FUS, the student must at the end of their sophomore year apply for formal admission into the Social Work program in addition to applying for general admission to FUS. The prospective student must:
• Complete the application for admission to the Social Work program at FUS
• Submit a resume
• Submit two letters of reference
• Complete a personal interview with program faculty member
*Although a cumulative GPA of 2.0 meets requirements for graduation at WVNCC, students who do not meet the GPA (or other special) requirements at the transfer institution for admission to this baccalaureate program may not be admitted to the program until they are able to meet those requirements. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution early in their program to check on this, and other requirements for admission to the baccalaureate program.
|First Year – Fall Semester Cr. Hrs.|
|ECON 104||Principles of Economics I||3|
|ENG 101||College Composition I||3|
|HPE||Physical Education Requirement ++||2|
|HS 100||Introduction to Human Services||3|
|PSYC 105||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|SOC 125||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|First Year – Spring Semester Cr. Hrs.|
|ENG 102||College Composition II||3|
|HUM||Humanities Core ***||3|
|MATH||Math Core Requirement *||3(4)|
|SPCH 105||Fundamentals of Speech Communication||3|
|SCI||Science Core Requirement **||3-4|
|Second Year – Fall Semester Cr. Hrs.|
|HS 147||Understanding Human Diversity||3|
|MATH||Math Core Requirement *||3-4|
|POLS 102||American National Government and Politics||3|
|PSYC 208||Developmental Psychology||3|
|SCI||Science Core Requirement **||3(4)|
|Second Year – Spring Semester Cr. Hrs.|
|HIST||History core requirement+||3|
|HUM||Humanities Core Requirement***||3|
|SS 255||The Global Community||3|
|Total Hours in Program||
* Choose from: MATH 108, MATH 110, MATH 210, or MATH 279. Note: FUS recommends MATH 108 or MATH 210.
** Choose from: BIO 110, BIO 112, BIO 113, BIO 114, BIO 115, CHEM 108, CHEM 109, PHYS 104 or PHYS 105; Note: FUS requires BIO 114 and BIO 115, so students may choose these courses in lieu of the Associate in Arts core requirements listed in the Academic Programs section.
*** Choose from: ART 150, ENG 200, ENG 201, ENG 210, ENG 211, ENG 215, MUS 105, or PHIL 200. Note: FUS requires two Humanities core (Literature and history. Since WVNCC doesn’t count HIST core as a HUM, an additional HUM core must be taken to fulfill WVNCC requirements for the A.A. degree.
+ Choose from: HIST 100 or HIST 101;
++ Physical education requirements should be chosen from any HPE course - two credits are required for WVNCC’s A.A. degree.
+++ Although electives may be chosen from any courses, FUS recommends SOC 255 or SOC 276 for additional transfer credits.