WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
Featuring the Recipes of WVNCC's Chef Marian Grubor as seen on 2013 Italian Heritage Cooking Vignettes
featured on WTRF TV 7.
2 ½ cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
¾ cup grated parmesan/Romano cheese
4-5 cloves Garlic—pressed
To taste Salt, pepper, oregano to taste
1 tsp Fresh parsley
1/3 cup Olive oil
½ cup Water
As needed Olive oil
1. Mix together till moist—not wet.
2. Spray pan with PAM, and coat with additional olive oil in bottom of pan.
3. Stuff artichokes with mixture. Pour olive oil lightly on top of artichokes.
4. Add water to cover 1/3-1/2 of artichokes.
5. Add salt and garlic cloves in water for taste.
6. Make sure water does not boil away
Cover and cook in deep pan on top of stove or in oven at 350 for 45 min-1 hour.
Stick knife in center of artichoke to see if it goes through easily.
Makes 4-6 medium artichokes.
1 package purchased frozen roll dough
½ cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
4 cups Oil
1. Thaw rolls
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or fryer to 350 degrees.
3. Mix sugar and cinnamon and set aside
4. Take each thawed roll and slightly flatten and place in hot oil and fry till both sides are golden brown.
5. Drain rolls on absorbent paper and toss in cinnamon and sugar.
Instead of cinnamon and sugar use honey, or powdered sugar.
Yield: 24 servings
1 1/2 cups Ricotta cheese
4 ounces Feta cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
1/4 cup Parsley Chopped
2 tablespoons Basil- fresh, chopped
2 teaspoons Oregano- fresh, chopped
2 cups Mozzarella cheese- shredded
1/2 pound Prosciutto ham sliced
1 (10 ounce) package Spinach frozen chopped, thawed and drained
1/2 (16 ounce) jar Roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
2 Prepared pie crusts
1. Roll out one pie crust to at least 15 inches and then line a spring form pan with one of the pie crusts. Let the crust over hang at least one half inch over the pan.
2. Mix the ricotta, the feta, the parmesan, the egg, parsley, basil, oregano and mozzarella in a bowl.
3. In the lined pan spread ½ the Prosciutto then top with 1/2 the cheese mixture.
4. Top cheese mixture with half the spinach and half the peppers.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
6. Top the pie with the remaining pie crust and crump and flute the two pie crust edges together. Dock or slash the top crust.
7. Beat egg and brush on pie crust
8. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour.
9. Let the pie rest for at least 1 hour before removing pan or cutting.
Yield: 1 - 9” spring form cake
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup Onion chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
5 cups Beef broth
1/2 cup Water
4 large Tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup Carrots – sliced thin
1/2 tablespoon Basil leaves- fresh
1 (8 ounce) can Tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups Zucchini- sliced and quartered
8 ounces Tortellini pasta- fresh
3 tablespoons Parsley- fresh, chopped
As needed Parmesan cheese
1. Boil tortellini al dente and set aside
2. In a sauce pan sauté sausage till cooked and add onion and garlic
3. Continue cooking till onion is transparent
4. Add beef broth to sausage
5. Add water, tomatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, basil and zucchini. Cook till zucchini is tender.
6. Add tortellini to soup and just heat through
7. Serve garnished with parsley and grated parmesan cheese
Makes 10 servings.
1-1/2 pounds Ricotta cheese
1 cups Sugar
1 teaspoons Vanilla extract
1/4 cup Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 Prepared pie crust
1. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla till frothy.
2. Stir in Ricotta cheese.
3. Line pie pans with prepared or purchased pie crust and flute .
4. Pour Ricotta mixture into crust and sprinkle chocolate chips over the cheese mixture.
5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center of pie.
Yield: 2 - 9” pies