WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
Social Work 2+2, Pre-Social Work
Associate in Arts Degree
Transfer to Bethany College
Note: The “2+2” term is used to refer to a transfer agreement through which a student completes an Associate degree at one institution and finishes a Bachelor degree at another institution. Due to individual student factors, part-time or full-time status, need for transitional education coursework, scheduling and availability of courses, or other factors, all students may not be able to complete these degrees in 2 (Associate) or 4 (Bachelor) years. The term “2+2” does not imply a guarantee that a student will be able to complete all requirements in 4 years.
Further, 2+2 articulation agreements contain very specific requirements which have been agreed upon and approved by the administration and faculty at both institutions. Because of this, petitions for course substitutions will not usually be considered or approved to allow a student to graduate under a 2+2 program.
Students completing this option will receive an Associate in Arts degree from West Virginia Northern. Upon completing the remaining specified credit hours at Bethany College (which may require only three additional semesters if taken in sequence and as a full-time student), they will receive a Bachelor in Social Work (B.S.W.) Degree. Although 68-69 credit hours are required, Bethany may accept up to 74 credit hours in transfer. In addition to the WVNCC courses, applicants for admission to Bethany’s social work program must meet the following criteria:
- Submit a transcript to Bethany College verifying an overall grade point average of 2.0*
- Obtain Bethany College’s Social Work Student Handbook and additional forms and instruction for the following criteria:
- Submit at least one recommendation form by a current or past faculty member or employer
- Complete and submit a criminal background check
- Complete and submit a written personal statement entitled, “Why I Want to be a Social Worker”
- Provide proof of completion of a 30-hour service learning experience (a WVNCC internship will fulfill this requirement)
- Complete and submit and application to the Executive Assistant for the Social Work Program at Bethany College
- Schedule and complete an interview with the social Work Program Director at Bethany College
Students successfully completing and receiving and A.A. degree under the articulation
agreement with Bethany College’s School of Social Work should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the “human services/social work” profession and the evolution of its various delivery systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts, theories, and strategies used in social work/ human services and apply basic skills related to general education curriculum requirements for the Social Work A.A. degree
- Utilize critical thinking skills
- Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate commitment to attendance, initiative, organization and interest in the profession
*Although a cumulative GPA of 2.0 meets requirements for graduation at WVNCC, students who do not meet the GPA (or other special) requirements at the transfer institution for admission to this baccalaureate program may not be admitted to the program until they are able to meet those requirements. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution early in their program to check on this, and other requirements for admission to the baccalaureate program.