WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
Social Work 2+2, Pre-Social Work
Associate in Arts Degree
Transfer to Bethany College
Note: The “2+2” term is used to refer to a transfer agreement through which a student completes an Associate degree at one institution and finishes a Bachelor degree at another institution. Due to individual student factors, part-time or full-time status, need for transitional education coursework, scheduling and availability of courses, or other factors, all students may not be able to complete these degrees in 2 (Associate) or 4 (Bachelor) years. The term “2+2” does not imply a guarantee that a student will be able to complete all requirements in 4 years.
Further, 2+2 articulation agreements contain very specific requirements which have been agreed upon and approved by the administration and faculty at both institutions. Because of this, petitions for course substitutions will not usually be considered or approved to allow a student to graduate under a 2+2 program.
Students completing this option will receive an Associate in Arts degree from West Virginia Northern. Upon completing the remaining specified credit hours at Bethany College (which may require only three additional semesters if taken in sequence and as a full-time student), they will receive a Bachelor in Social Work (B.S.W.) Degree. Although 68-69 credit hours are required, Bethany may accept up to 74 credit hours in transfer. In addition to the WVNCC courses, applicants for admission to Bethany’s social work program must meet the following criteria:
- Submit a transcript to Bethany College verifying an overall grade point average of 2.0*
- Obtain Bethany College’s Social Work Student Handbook and additional forms and instruction for the following criteria:
- Submit at least one recommendation form by a current or past faculty member or employer
- Complete and submit a criminal background check
- Complete and submit a written personal statement entitled, “Why I Want to be a Social Worker”
- Provide proof of completion of a 30-hour service learning experience (a WVNCC internship will fulfill this requirement)
- Complete and submit and application to the Executive Assistant for the Social Work Program at Bethany College
- Schedule and complete an interview with the social Work Program Director at Bethany College
Students successfully completing and receiving and A.A. degree under the articulation
agreement with Bethany College’s School of Social Work should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the “human services/social work” profession and the evolution of its various delivery systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts, theories, and strategies used in social work/ human services and apply basic skills related to general education curriculum requirements for the Social Work A.A. degree
- Utilize critical thinking skills
- Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate commitment to attendance, initiative, organization and interest in the profession
*Although a cumulative GPA of 2.0 meets requirements for graduation at WVNCC, students who do not meet the GPA (or other special) requirements at the transfer institution for admission to this baccalaureate program may not be admitted to the program until they are able to meet those requirements. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution early in their program to check on this, and other requirements for admission to the baccalaureate program.
First Year - Fall Semester
|ENG 101 College Composition I||3|
|HPE 105 Personal Fitness||1|
|HUM Humanities Core (Fine Arts)**||3|
|HS 100 Intro to Social Work & Human Services+++||3|
|PSYC 105 Introduction to Psychology||3|
First Year - Spring Semester
|BIO 110 Principles of Biology||4|
|ENG 102 College Composition II||3|
|SOC 125 Introduction to Sociology||3|
Second Year - Fall Semester
|ECON 104 Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|HS 147 Understanding Human Diversity+++||3|
|MATH Mathematics Core Requirement*||3(4)|
|POLS 102 American National Government & Politics||3|
|PSYC 208 Developmental Psychology||3|
Second Year - Spring Semester
|GSC 100 Science in the Contemporary World||4|
|HIST History Core Requirement+||3|
|HS 200 Social Welfare Institutions+++||3|
|HUM Core Requirement (Literature)***||3|
Total Hours in Program — 60-61
* Choose from: MATH 108 or MATH 210.
** Choose from: ART 114 or MUS 105
*** Choose from: ENG 200, ENG 201, ENG 210, ENG 211, ENG 215, ENG 225, or ENG 226
+ Choose from: HIST 100, HIST 101, HIST 110, or HIST 111.
+++ Bethany College requires a “C” or better in these courses and reserves the right to evaluate whether these WVNCC courses meet all outcomes for equivalent courses in a major.
NOTE Students who transfer to Bethany with an additional 20 credits (80 credits total) may finish the Social Work Program in only three (3) semesters under the Transfer Incentive Plan (TIP), (which is available only for commutitng students), which may include a reduction in tuition and fees at Bethany College. Restricted electives should be chosen from: PHIL 200, CRJ 104, SOC 255, PSYC 200, PSCY 218, SS 207, SS 255, SOC 276, SOC 126, and/or 1 HPE credit from HPE 100 or 101.