WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
Associate in Arts Degree
This program is designed for those who expect to transfer to a college or university to study in a variety of liberal arts programs, including art, communication, education, English, journalism, library science, philosophy, pre-law, political science, or the social sciences. The curriculum gives students a broad background in liberal arts with an emphasis in the Liberal Arts disciplines.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of theories, concepts, and principles relevant to the liberal arts
- Demonstrate a readiness to enter a bachelor degree program with appropriate commitment to attendance, initiative, organization, and interest in the concentration field
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills related to general education competencies for the Associate in Arts degree, including the ability to:
- Communicate effectively
- Work collaboratively
- Think critically and solve problems
- View issues from a global perspective
- Conduct basic research using computers
- Appreciate literature and the arts
- Live according to conscious values and ethics
Graduates of this program would plan to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor’s degree in a variety of liberal arts disciplines, and may go on to earn an advanced degree.