WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
Associate in Applied Science Degree
The Executive Administrative Assistant Option will prepare students with the appropriate skills for employment in today’s offices. General education requirements and specialized course options will enable students to apply current office/business skills, computer applications, and decision-making techniques.
• Microsoft Office I and II - Microsoft Certified Application Specialist:
• Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification is recognized as the standard for demonstrating desktop skills.
Upon completion of the Executive Administrative Assistant Option, graduates will be
- Create business documents using word processing software
- Transcribe mailable documents
- Create various types of business documents using spreadsheet and presentation software
- Compose various types of business correspondence applying appropriate writing techniques, accurate spelling, correct punctuation, and proper grammar
- Apply current office/business procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of communication and mathematical skills
- Create promotional items such as brochures, newsletters, flyers, letterheads, etc., using document design and layout principles
- Integrate electronic office/business skills with decision-making skills
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the accounting cycle
- Demonstrate a knowledge of records management principles and filing procedures in maintaining business documents
- Apply experiences learned through a business internship
The program course requirements are presented in sequence. Part-time students and others who cannot follow this sequence should check course descriptions in this catalog to determine prerequisites and, in addition, should consult their academic advisor regarding the order in which they take courses.
First Year—Fall Semester Cr. Hrs.
ACC 122 Principles of Accounting I - 3
CIT 120 Microsoft Word I - 3
ENG 101 College Composition I - 3
MATH 109 Math of Business and Finance - 3
PSYC 155 Human Relations - 3
First Year—Spring Semester Cr. Hrs.
ACC 123 Principles of Accounting II - 3
CIT 107 Microsoft Excel - 3
CIT 121 Microsoft Word II - 3
ECON 105 Principles of Microeconomics - 3
MKT 230 Principles of Marketing - 3
Second Year—Fall Semester Cr. Hrs.
BA 100 Introduction to Business - 3
BA 240 Business Law I - 3
CIT 159 Microsoft Publisher - 3
MGT 250 Principles of Management - 3
PAL 110 Legal Ethics# - 3
PAL 100 Drafting Legal Documents# - (3)
Second Year—Spring Semester Cr. Hrs.
ACC 222 Computerized Accounting - 3
BA 241 Business Law II - 3
BA 265 Business Communications - 3
BA 280 Business Internship - 3
SPCH 105 Fundamentals of Speech Communication - 3
Total Hours in Program—60