WVNCC | West Virginia Northern Community College
Retention is a unique challenge for any community college. We, at WV Northern, view retention as a college-wide responsibility: faculty, staff, administrators and students working together to persist and succeed. At WVNCC, persistence and success are our top priorities. Our goal is to provide students with the resources they need to feel empowered and inspired to succeed.
We also believe in strong community partnerships to bridge the gap between academic completion and job acquisition.
WVNCC has an established Retention Committee dedicated to engaging administration, faculty and staff in exploration and initiation of retention initiatives, facilitating open communication regarding retention initiatives, collaboratively supporting retention initiatives and making recommendations regarding retention initiatives.
Retention and Student Success Initiatives
- Retention Strategic Plan - This ambitious three-year plan identifies ten primary goals and multiple subgoals to improve retention.
- Early Alert - GradesFirst is an automated, web-based retention management system. Northern uses many functions in GradesFirst to connect students to resources and keep them informed of their progress.
- On Track - This monthly e-newsletter provides valuable information about the personal attributes and academic skills that lead to success - all delivered conveniently to WVNCC inboxes.
- Resource Fairs - Resource fairs connect students to internal and external supports.
- Total Withdraw Survey - This survey allows WVNCC to collect data that can help us address areas of concern and make improvements.
- First Year Seminar (FYS) Success Strategies 90 - This class is designed to lay the right foundation for success at WVNCC.
- Project Graduation - In cooperation with the Records and Registrar Office, this program proposes multiple goals to help students graduate from certificate and degree programs at the school.
- New-Student Orientation - Research shows that new student orientation is a valuable activity in contributing to student success.
- Advising - Every student is assigned an advisor.
- Family and Friends Network - For family and friends of students - get e-updates to stay in touch with what your Northern student needs to know.
- Many other activities are in place on all of our campuses as we continually strive to improve student retention and success.
Links to Online Resources
This system provides students with time management and easy communication tools to stay in touch with instructors and academic support services staff.
Financial Literacy and Student Success wiki. Helpful information about money management and student success strategies.
Links to Presentations for Student Success
Goal Setting & Time Management. View the information in this presentation to learn and practice the importance of setting short-, intermediate-, and long-term goals and accomplishing those goals with effective time management strategies during your time in school (and thereafter).
Stress Management. This presentation covers everything you need to know about stress to start taking over your life rather than stress taking over you. Learn the definition of stress, the causes of stress, its effects, and behavioral, physical, and cognitive strategies for coping with stress.
Note-taking Tips. Note-taking is a key activity to practice and use in the classroom. All students can benefit from understanding effective note-taking, which includes using active listening skills, adopting a note-taking system that works for the individual and the class, and picking out key verbal and nonverbal cues from instructors to discern which information is the most "noteworthy."
Test-taking Tips. Tests can be just about any student's "scary monster in the closet." However, knowing how to prepare for tests from the first day of class and after can help any student conquer the test beast.