Student Government Association (SGA)
Tri-Campus STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION (SGA)
The West Virginia Northern Community College Student Government Association provides unique opportunities for students to build relationships, enhance leadership skills, become civically engaged, and maximize their college experiences. All aspects of the Student Government Association are advised and supported by the Office of Student Activities.
The specific functions of the Student Government Association are:
- to plan, promote and execute student activities, to stimulate student involvement with the college, and to recognize and assist other student groups
- to represent all students, and the college in the state level and in community service activities
- to select students for college standing committees, to make comments on issues, express student opinions on policies, and to initiate college wide discussion on student issues
- to organize and assist individual Campus Activities Boards
Duties of the Student Government Association Executive Board
- to provide representation for the exchange of the student views on the issues of education and student life with the college administration
- to encourage awareness of student rights and responsibilities
- to encourage responsible suggestions from students in the policy and decision making process of education and student life and refer these to the college administration
- to consider any proposal made by a student at regular meetings and to forward such to the proper administrative authorities
- to review concerns of individuals and student organizations and refer them to the entire SGA for deliberation or to the appropriate college administrators
- to meet at the discretion of the SGA President when special events dictate the necessity of a special meeting
2022-2023 SGA Senator and Executive Board
President: Leah Hart
Vice President: Minseo (Kira) Kim
Recording Secretary: Colton Asbury
Financial Secretary: America Burris
Board of Governors: Jeanette Ziegler
State Advisory Council of Student Representative: Morgan Haught
Weirton Senators: Kira (Minseo) Kim, Leah Hart, Morgan Haught, and Shawn McIllory
Wheeling Senators: America Burris and Colton Asbury
New Martinsville Senators: Vacant
To contact SGA for feedback email at email@example.com
Membership of the Student Government Association includes all students regularly enrolled at West Virginia Northern Community College. Voting representatives of this group consists of at least nine senators, one student representative to the Board of Governors, and one representative to the State Advisory Council of Students. Of these nine senators, at least four will come from Wheeling, three from New Martinsville, and three from Weirton. Each campus will receive one additional senator per one hundred full time equivalents (FTE).
SGA representatives must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and must maintain enrollment of no less than six credit hours on the campus from which the member was elected. When program requirements mandate that the student attend another campus, resulting in the hours being split between two or more campuses, the student must declare a home campus. A home campus may be declared by submitting a letter to the Director of Student Engagement. In order to be eligible a student cannot have any prior violations of the student code of conduct.
The SGA meetings are held once a month by Zoom. All meetings are open to the student body, faculty, staff, and administration.
The student body of each campus shall elect their respective senators. The combined student body of all three campuses shall elect the Board of Governors Representative and the Representative to the Advisory Council of Students. Officers of the SGA will be elected by all current senators.
Elections will be held the third or fourth week of April. The exact date and time will be set by the SGA in consultation with the Director of Student Engagement. A term runs from May 1st to April 30th of the following year.
The student body of each campus elects its respective senators. The combined student body of all three campuses elects the Board of Governors Representative and the Representative to the Advisory Council of Students. The Executive Board of the SGA will be elected by all current senators.
Interested in Joining?
304.214.8917 | firstname.lastname@example.org