Online Student Success
BECOMING A SUCCESSFUL ONLINE STUDENT
Taking an online course or enrolling in an online program can be very different from traditional coursework.
Online coursework offers convenience, independence and flexibility for students with busy lives.
Online coursework also means navigating a "course management system" (CMS) like Brightspace D2L, structuring your study time and environment, managing your own learning and study skills - sometimes without immediate or regular contact with an instructor.
The resources provided to the left will help you realistically determine whether or not online coursework is right for you.
Think about the following factors when considering online coursework:
- Your Understanding of Online Education: Online education puts more responsibility on the student.
- Your Online Education Program: You need to become well acquainted with your education program and school.
- Your Participation and Interactivity: You need to understand that your participation and interactivity is a crucial part of online education. There won't be anyone or anything requiring or encouraging you to "attend."
- Your Computer System: You must have consistent access to a reliable computer with Internet. "Technology issues" will not be an excuse for missed or late work.
- Your Computer Skills: You should have basic computer proficieny and be able to trouble shoot independently. "Technology issues" will not be an excuse for missed or late work.
- Your Self-Motivation: Online learning requires a higher level of discipline and motivation than traditional coursework.
- Your Communication Skills: You'll need excellent reading and writing skills to succeed online.
- Your Online Research Skills: You will need to use online research skills to locate and use resources and for coursework as well.