Tips for Evaluating Job Postings
The Career Services Office aims to facilitate the relationship between students (and alumni) and employers by posting job opportunities. Career Services only uses College Central (and bulletin boards in the Career Services Office) to post job opportunties for students and alumni. The Career Services Office tries its best to verfiy the authenticity of employers and job postings, however, we are unable to thoroughly research every listing in posted on College Central. Students and alumni should review the Career Services Disclaimer regarding job postings.
In any situation when evaluating a job listing you should be cautious if a company asks you to complete any of the following:
• Depositing a check or money order into a personal account
• Asking you to give the organization your credit card or bank account numbers
• Providing copies of your personal documents or a photo of yourself
• Be wary of any organization that it is difficult to find an address, actual contact person, etc.
• If the contact is from an email address such as the domain name @hotmail.com
• If it the job posting focuses more on the salary/income made rather than the actual job description
You can also check with the Better Business Bureau to verify the business.