Sign Up For Email/Text Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:

Mobile Phone:

Transient Student

West Virginia Northern Community College invites students currently enrolled at other colleges to take coursework with us as Transient students.  Northern offers classes throughout the year which may meet the needs of their home schools' academic program. Students enjoy the great community college tuition rate while making progress toward their field of study. 

Applicants wishing to take courses as Transient students must complete the following:

1) Complete an Application for Admission and choose the 900T - Transient major code. The form can be submitted electronically, delivered in person, sent by mail to any local campus, or faxed to (304) 232-0153. Online application is highly recommended.

Apply Online Here

Admissions Application Form (pdf printable) 

Once you apply, and are accepted to Northern, check out the Transient Student Let's Get Started Guide for help on registering and more!

2) Students officially enrolled at another college must obtain a letter of transient status from the Registrar at their home institution. This letter will indicate that the course(s) to be taken at WVNCC will transfer into the respective programs of study at the home institution. Transient letters received serve both as a waiver of prerequisite courses and as a protection for students on the agreement of transfer of coursework back to their home institution. Transient students can register online once this form is sent to WVNCC's Registrar's Office. NOTE: Students who do not choose to get letters of transient status may enroll as Personal Interest students instead (major code 888), provided they meet the prerequisites of any courses they wish to take.

3) Payment for courses is required by the LAST DAY TO PAY (published each semester in the schedule of classes). Students registering after this date must make payment arrangements at the time of registration. Students can pay with cash, check or credit card. Payment plan arrangements can be made through the Campus Service Center or Business Office. Students who plan to use their financial aid from their home institution must have a CONSORTIUM AGREEMENT sent directly from their home institution to WVNCC before the LAST DAY TO PAY or on the day they register after that. Transient students are not eligible for financial aid through WVNCC.

IMPORTANT NOTE: WVNCC cancels classes for non-payment beginning with the published LAST DAY TO PAY and every day after that.

4) Upon completion of coursework at West Virginia Northern, transient students must request to have an official transcript sent to their home school. See the Request a Transcript page for details. 

5) Textbooks for WVNCC can be purchased at any campus bookstore or online through the Northern bookstore's website. Textbooks can be shipped or picked up at a campus based on prior arrangements. WVNCC bookstore operational hours vary by campus. Students should make sure of the hours of operation of the campus bookstore to purchase textbooks.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP STUDENTS: Students who are attempting to make up hours or to improve their GPA for the PROMISE Scholarship are advised to also check with their home institution's financial aid office to be sure of the timeline for submitting grades. Courses at WVNCC which are taken Pass/Fail may not qualify for PROMISE. Students are encouraged to confirm all arrangements with their home institutions prior to registration.