West Virginia Invests
The West Virginia Legislature just made paying for a high-quality certificate or associate degree a whole lot easier through the creation of the WV Invests Grant program! Sometimes referred to as the "free community college" bill, this is a "last dollar in" program - which means students use all of their other federal and/or state grant awards first, and WV Invests will cover the remaining costs for tuition and fees at West Virginia community and technical colleges. With 3/4 of jobs in the current economy requiring postsecondary education or training, this grant program is designed to help more West Virginians earn the credentials they need to get jobs that will allow them to live and work right here at home.
You are eligible to receive a WV Invests grant if you:
- Were a legal resident of West Virginia for at least 1 year immediately before applying.
- Are a graduate of a public, private or homeschool program, or have successfully passed a high school equivalency test.
- Have not already earned a college degree (associate level or higher) or have 90 or higher attempted college credits.
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Are willing to make a commitment to improving the state by living in West Virginia for at least two years after graduation?
- Complete at least two hours of community service each semester.
- Meet the minimum admissions requirements at an eligible institution and register for at least 6 credit hours.
- Pass a drug test.
To remain eligible, you must:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
- Continue to register for at least 6 credit hours each semester.
- Complete an annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Pass a drug test yearly as long as the you are concurrently enrolled.
- Make adequate progress toward completing your degree.
Once you graduate, you are not obligated to repay your WV Invests Grant if you:
- Live in West Virginia for two years after graduation.
- Complete two hours of community service each semester - form is available after new semester classes begin
- WV INVESTS Community Service Form
For more information and to apply for this grant visit: