West Virginia Northern’s Assessment Office works with academic programs and Student Support units to document and analyze evidence of student learning. Our goal is to determine what students know, understand, and can do as a result of their educational experiences so that we may develop meaningful strategies to improve learning outcomes. In this way we support the college’s broader mission of educating and empowering our community by providing access to high-quality learning opportunities.
The Director of Assessment plans, organizes, and coordinates assessment projects in partnership with the Assessment Committee. The Assessment Committee consists of faculty, staff, and students and is charged with monitoring and guiding the implementation of the college’s Assessment Plan. The Assessment Office also works closely with the Planning, Institutional Effectiveness and Research (PIER) Office to synchronize data and report on the quality of institutional assessment efforts.
The Assessment Office helps programs and units ensure Northern students receive high-quality learning opportunities by:
- Assisting program directors as they complete their annual self-studies for Program Review
- Working with program directors to draft their 5-Year Program Review reports
- Working with program directors to develop viable assessment plans
- Providing feedback to program directors about methods for assessing student learning at the program level and ensuring alignment with General Education outcomes as well as HLC criteria.
- Supporting individuals working on learning objectives at the course level
- Coordinating with co-curricular units to develop assessment projects in alignment with their mission
Faculty and Staff Assessment Resources
Chat with our team