Sign Up For Email/Text Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:

Mobile Phone:

Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid is money to be used in meeting educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books and course supplies.  Financial aid awards are based on your individual and family financial need and eligibility as determined through the annual FAFSA application.  There are several types of financial aid available at WVNCC, including grants, scholarships, workstudy, and loans.  Financial aid awards may include a combination of the various types of aid available.  You can learn more about all the types of financial aid we offer below:

Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant

Pell grants are available to undergraduates who have not yet earned a bachelor's degree.  The grant is based on financial need and the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled on the last day of the add/drop period.  The award amount listed on your award letter is always based on full-time enrollment. (All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid - FAFSA)  Pell grant award amounts can change yearly, but the Federal Pell Grant maximum award for the 2022-2023 award year (July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023) is $6,895.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

A federal aid program that is awarded to undergraduate students who show the greatest financial need, are registered at least half time, and are working on their first bachelor's degree. Priority is given to students who receive the Federal Pell Grant.  A student can receive between $100 and $1000 an academic year, depending on your financial need and the institution's funding level.  Allocation of funds is at WVNCC's discretion, and awarding is based on need and applicaiton date along with the other criteria listed above.

Federal Work-Study

Work Study is money you earn through working a job on-campus or through community service activities organized in coordination with the college.  Students who demonstrate financial need and are in good academic standing may be eligible to participate in the federal work-study program. Students may be employed in departmental offices, the Learning Resources Centers, on the maintenance staff, etc. Paychecks, at the federal minimum wage rate, are made every two weeks according to the hours worked through the Human Resources Office. Students must reapply with the Financial Aid Office each semester to verify continued eligibility. (for more information contact the Financial Aid Office or your Campus Counselor)

Federal Direct Loans

A federal loan program that is awarded to students who show financial need and are registered at least half-time.  WVNCC participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program.  Repayment begins six months after leaving school or dropping below half-time status.  A fixed Interest rate is established July 1st of each year for the upcoming aid year.  Click on the Federal Direct Loan link above for more information.

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan - Students may apply for a student loan if they are enrolled or have been accepted for enrollment at least halftime (six credit hours). Students who qualify for a subsidized loan will have the interest on the loan paid by the Federal government while enrolled in school, and during the six-month grace period after their last date of enrollment or during an eligible deferment. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws from college, or does not enroll at least half-time; students may be allowed up to ten years to repay. 
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan - Independent students who do not qualify for the maximum subsidized loan limits may borrow the difference, plus an additional amount of up to $4,000 under this program. Students are responsible for the interest while enrolled in school, during the six-month grace period after their last date of enrollment, or during an eligible deferment. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws from college, or does not enroll at least half-time; students may be allowed up to ten years to repay. 

Federal PLUS Loans

PLUS loans are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students at WVNCC can use to help pay for college.  PLUS loans can help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.

  • The U.S. Department of Education is your lender.
  • You must not have an adverse credit history.
  • The maximum loan amount is the cost of attendance (financial aid budget as described on the student's award letter) minus other financial aid received. 
  • If the student has already filed the FAFSA, a parent can apply for a PLUS loan on

West Virginia State Financial Aid

  • State financial aid assistance for residents of West Virginia
  • Click on each program name to access the required application and to learn more about your eligibility

* Promise Scholarship - A merit-based scholarship for qualifying WV high school graduates.

* Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship - A scholarship available to qualified students interested in pursing an education in engineering, science, or technology.

* West Virginia Higher Education Grant - A need-based grant awarded on the basis of financial need for full-time students.  Deadline to file the FAFSA is April 15th each year.

Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student (HEAPS) Grant Program - A need-based grant for students enrolled on a part-time basis (3 - 11 credit hours). Eligible applicants must have lived in WV continuously for a minimum of 12 months immediately preceding the semester applying for HEAPS.  Awards are on a 1st-come-1st-serve basis since funds are limited per institution. The annual WV HEAPS Application can be found on our Financial Aid Forms page.

West Virginia Invests Grant - West Virginia Invests is a state-funded grant program that covers the full cost of tuition and fees for select certificate and associate degree programs at a West Virginia public two- or four-year institution. This is a last-dollar-in program, meaning that it will pay for any amount up to the total cost of tuition and mandatory fees that isn't already covered by other state or federal grants or scholarships. West Virginia Invests was created by the Legislature during the 2019 regular session and will begin helping hardworking West Virginians pay for college beginning with the 2019-20 academic year. 

The WV Center for Nursing Scholarship/Loan Program – for West Virginia residents enrolled in a West Virginia nursing program. Students become eligible once they have completed half their program and must be planning to work in West Virginia for two years following graduation.

*Appeal to Waive Full-time Enrollment Requirements - For WV State Financial Aid requiring full-time enrollment (12 or more credit hours), an appeal process is now available if 12 or more credit hours of degree pursuant coursework is not available during a semester.  For more information and to submit an appeal:   Appeal | CFWV Connect

Pennsylvannia State Grant Program (PA State Grant)

This program is operated by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency. Funds may be used to pay instructional fees only for Pennsylvania residents. Student must be enrolled full time as an undergraduate and making appropriate progress toward an associate degree.



Gift aid based on academic performance, talent, or achievement.  Scholarships are offered by WVNCC, WVNCC Foundation, and many outside organizations/associations. 

Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Veterans Benefits

Veterans of the U.S. Armed Services, Reservists, or National Guard members may be eligible to receive educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Children and spouses of deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans may receive educational assistance. All applicable guidelines will apply.

WV Division of Rehabilitation Services 

Each state maintains a Vocational Rehabilitation agency to assist clients in training or retraining to overcome various disabilities. It may be possible to have all or part of educational expenses covered under such programs. Contact the Vocational Rehabilitation office serving the county of residence.

(Ohio) Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

(Ohio) Trade Adjustment Assistance Act (TAA)

Workforce WV -  Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

Workforce WV - Trade Adjustment Assistance Act (TAA)